Monday, March 18, 2013

CONGRATULATIONS
Malayalathinte Swantham Teacher
Smt. Sugathakumari



Thiruvananthapuram: Eminent Malayalam poetess and social activist Sugathakumari, chosen for this year's prestigious Saraswati Samman, Monday dedicated the award in memory of her parents, who instilled in her the love for the mother tongue. "I dedicate this award to my parents who taught me to love Malayalam. I also remember with respect renowned writer N V Krishna Warrier, who gave me the courage to write," she told reporters here after hearing about the honour bestowed on her. The 79-year-old author, whose collection of poems 'Manalezhuthu' (The Writing on the Sand), was selected for the award, said she was not sure whether it would inspire her to continue writing. "I cannot say whether this (the award) will inspire me to write more poems. I consider this honour as a blessing for whatever I have done to the world of literature," she said. The poet said people are living in a callous world where imagination is drying up. "I really do not know whether I can write again with the same passion which I had in the past," she said. Sugathakumari, who has to her credit 10 collections of poems, has won several honours,including the Kendra and Kerala Sahitya academy awards. She has also received the Kerala government's 'Ezhuthachan' award, Vayalar Ramavarma award, Odakkuzhal award and Vallathol award for her works. As a social activist, she has been been at the forefront of environmental and feminist movements in Kerala. She played a big role in the Silent Valley movement which led to the declaration of the Valley as a national park. She also runs the Abhayagramam trust which runs Athani, a home for destitute women and a day-care centre for the mentally ill. She was a former chairperson of the Kerala State Women's Commission. She is the third recipient of Saraswati Samman from Kerala. Balamani Amma had received the award in 1995 for her poetry collection 'Nivedyam' while K Ayyappa Panicker was honoured with the Samman in 2005 for the collection of all his poems.

gstuattingal


No comments:

Post a Comment